Friday, March 27, 2009

Take the girl out of the city ...

And MAN, it's a definite adjustment when she comes back!

I was trying to get my daughter to sleep earlier and there was such a commotion outside in back of my parents' house, it made me flinch. It made me think to myself, how on earth did I function in this house, the room next to this one, facing that same backyard, for so many years?

But I did. And sadly, it's such a different world right now and the "city," as one might call it is a whole 'nother kind of place. Granted, not everywhere, but the more I wished these kids would be on their way, the older I felt and the more frustrated. True, I'm a mom now, so I'm a whole different ME compared to who I used to be. But I also am someone who lives in a quiet neighborhood in Raleigh-Durham, NC. And that's a far cry from Brooklyn, NY, despite the number of NYC transplants that are there.

It's pretty weird because I definitely love coming home, I just like going home, too. Mostly because my daughter can play in our backyard for hours without someone screaming F*ck You! at someone else and a rowdy bunch of teens (were they even teenagers? I couldn't say for sure, but I honestly hope so!) getting louder in the background. At home we just have to worry about the dogs from the kennel behind our neighborhood getting let out too early and possibly waking her up before it's time. For now, I'll take it. But I definitely miss many other aspects of Brooklyn. With family members being just one. For example, the Chinese food we had for dinner tonight ... beyond compare, and the bagels, without question better than anything back home. And don't even get me started on the pizza around here. I hope to get some before we head back to NC on Sunday.

It's not ALL about the food, but it sure counts for something, if you ask me. And, well, you didn't, but I'm telling you anyway.

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like air to a writer.

So please - say something - help me BREATHE!