Saturday, January 29, 2011

White Chicken Chili for Sabroso Saturday!

I'm not too late for today's Sabroso (Tasty!) Saturday link-up. I had this post written earlier this week, but I blanked on submitting it this morning, so here it is. Enjoy!

A totally Lazy Mom way to make White Chicken Chili!

When you look at the ingredients list and see that it's totally a batch of canned items you won't be surprised. You'll just figure that I was too lazy (who, me?) to do beans from "scratch" and take forever. RIght?

White Chicken Chili in the Crock Pot

- chicken (I used store-bought rotisserie and shredded it)
- 1 can Northern Beans, 1 can Navy beans
- 1 can hominy, 1 can white corn (only called for 1 but I did both)
- 1 can chicken broth, 1 can cream of chicken soup (probably could have done w/o one to make it less soupy)
- 1 pks taco seasoning
- 1/4 c sour cream before serving (mix in)

I left out the 1 can of chopped green chilies and decided not to add cheese, and no scallions (hubby isn't an onion or scallion fan), but I think sauteed onions would be SO good in this. Mmmn.

Toss it into the CP [mix chicken broth/cream soup/taco seasoning together before pouring on top of other ingredients] and cook all day. I made such a huge batch I probably should have done two pkgs of taco seasoning, to give it more kick and flavor, but it turned out really yum.

Since it was a little soup-y and I didn't want to make rice I decided to serve it with corn muffins. I usually use the Jiffy brand, but went store brand this time. We broke them up and scooped the chili over it and it was perfect.

It's not crazy spicy, like a typical chili might be, but it was really good. The recipe called for chiles, but I passed on those as I'm a wimp, and I thought for sure that my hubby would add hot sauce when he had some for dinner, but he didn't! Perfect!

I got the recipe here
 ... and I tweaked it a little bit to make it work for me and my family.

5 comments:

  1. sounds delicious - I'm going to have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay you had me at hominy! I love that. This looks quick and easy and delish!! I am so trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thrilled to see a recipe where everything is so easy. Goodness knows, cans are very convenient and the crock-pot .. just set it and forget it (to quote that infomercial)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sound of this! I'm a fan of all things chicken!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made White Chicken Chili this past weekend for a dinner at church. Your recipe is so much simpler(and I love simple) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like air to a writer.

So please - say something - help me BREATHE!